The Best Foods For Breastfeeding Moms
You gave birth, but if you’re a breastfeeding mom, you still need to eat nutritious foods. What you eat, your baby is eating too. What are the best foods for breastfeeding moms? When I started breastfeeding I remember constantly feeling hungry like I wasn’t eating enough. The hunger comes from the amount of calories our body uses to make milk. We are a 24 hour milk making machine. Our baby is relying on us to feed them.
That is why we need to fuel our body with healthy nutrient rich foods after birth. I will give you a list of the best foods for breastfeeding moms.
I have a weakness for sweets and chocolate, I know I’m not the only mom that has this weakness. When I was pregnant with my twins my blood sugar levels were in the higher range of normal but not high enough to be considered diabetes. I’m thankful now that my blood sugar returned to normal. So After giving birth, I did enjoy that piece of chocolate. It’s okay because the good news is that breastfeeding moms burn about 300-500 calories while breastfeeding. That is the benefits of breastfeeding. So don’t worry you will not gain weight from that piece of candy or slice of cake.
Breastfeeding moms need to maintain a regular eating schedule. Don’t skip meals, even though you have a busy day. You need the energy to breastfeed your baby. Yes, you’re so exhausted from feeding your little one in the middle of the night. I’ve been there. It does get better. Try not to skip breakfast. You can have something simple to eat that doesn’t require a lot of work. Like, oatmeal with berries on top, cereal, yogurt with fruit, and bagel with cream cheese those type of foods.
Also have snacks on hand when breastfeeding. You can have smoothie ingredients ready. In the freezer section in grocery stores they sell prepackaged fruit that you can buy to make smoothies. I Just add liquid to it (milk, water) and I put it all in my high powered blender like a vitamix and whip up a healthy smoothie. It’s so simple to make.
Easy snacks to eat are grapes, bananas, apples, berries, a sandwich. These only require one hand to eat. I had bananas on hand because it was easy to grab and eat.
Here is a list of the best foods for breastfeeding moms:
- Calcium- It’s recommended for breastfeeding moms to have 1,000 mg per day. Try to get calcium through food instead of a supplement; your body will absorb it better. One 8oz of milk has about 300mg of calcium. I don’t like to drink milk by itself. I use to eat cereal with milk. Also eating yogurt is good or if you want something warm you can have hot chocolate with milk and still get calcium.
- Plenty of H20- Drinking lots of water helps recover your body from childbirth and gives you energy. You’ll know if you’re drinking plenty of water if your urine is clear. Have a sip of water every time you breastfeed or pump. I use to keep a flask with water close by when I breastfed. It keeps the water temp cool for you and it can last you for a couple of feedings until you refill it.
- Folic Acid- This vitamin is important to take during pregnancy to prevent birth defects. It is still important after birth because it continues to encourage growth to your baby. Foods that are high in Folic Acid are Legumes like beans, peas and lentils. If you don’t like beans another alternative is Asparagus, eggs, leafy greens like spinach, kale, nuts and seeds and bananas.
- Multivitamin– Make sure to also take a women’s multivitamin.
- Fish– Fish contains omega-3 fatty acids which is necessary for the development of your baby’s eyes and brain. Fatty fish like salmon. sardines,mackerel,Lake trout, albacore tuna are high in omega 3. A favorite fish of mine is Salmon. My husband doesn’t like it so more for me. If you don’t like fish another alternative is walnuts, chia seeds, tofu or flaxseed.
- Lactation Foods- Oats, fennel, fenugreek or lactation cookies are common herbs that increase milk supply. I have friends that have used fenugreek and lactation cookies it worked for them. You can make your own lactation cookies at home if you like. There are also Lactation Teas that contain fenugreek or fennel.
These are The Best Foods For Breastfeeding Moms. If you enjoyed this blog post, share it with a friend!
I hope this information was helpful! 😊